Bexley Mencap is a small, local charity that provides activities and opportunities for people with a learning disability and their loved ones. We want all people with a learning disability to be respected, valued and to live life to the full and as a volunteer you could help us to achieve this. It’s the perfect opportunity to develop your skills, have fun and meet new people by becoming part of our friendly and dedicated team.
What we’re looking for
Do you enjoy music and singing? Could you share your interest or experience to help people with a learning disability join in?
We’re launching an exciting new music project for people in Bexley with a mild/moderate learning disability and are looking for volunteers who can support and encourage members to take part. The group will be led by a music tutor and will involve singing and playing instruments.
We’re looking for people who:
- Enjoy music and/or singing
- Are fun, friendly and approachable
- Have a good sense of humour
- Are reliable and patient
- Will maintain confidentiality
- Are accepting of and respectful to all members, demonstrating empathy to all
- Ideally have experience of supporting or working with people with a learning disability, although not essential as training will be given
- Are over 18
The project runs three sessions every Thursday lasting for 1½ hours. We are looking for someone who can commit to supporting the project each week, for either 1, 2 or 3 sessions.
What you’ll get from the role
As a volunteer with Bexley Mencap you can expect:
- Relevant training and support from our team
- Agreed re-imbursement of out of pocket expenses
- To be supported and valued in your role
- The opportunity to meet new people
- The opportunity to learn new skills and learn more about learning disabilities
- The opportunity to make a difference to the lives of local people with learning disabilities
If this sounds like you then we’d love to hear from you. Please contact us on 020 8303 6336 or email@example.com to find out more