Bexley Mencap is a small, local charity that provides activities and opportunities for people with a learning disability and their loved ones. We want all people with a learning disability to be respected, valued and to live life to the full and as a volunteer you could help us to achieve this. It’s the perfect opportunity to develop your skills, have fun and meet new people by becoming part of our friendly and dedicated team.
What we’re looking for
Our office is the hub for people with learning disabilities and their carers to access support, activities and services. We’re looking for volunteers who can help us to run our reception desk which might include greeting visitors, answering the phone and assisting with bookings for activities. It will also involve light admin duties such as photocopying, writing letters and updating our display boards.
We’re looking for people who:
- Are friendly, welcoming and approachable
- Are reliable and patient
- Have good communication and listening skills (due to the needs of some of our members volunteers must be able to speak English fluently)
- Have good computer skills
- Will maintain confidentiality
- Are accepting of and respectful to all members, demonstrating empathy to all
- Ideally have experience of supporting or working with people with a learning disability, although not essential as training will be given
- Are over 18
We are open Monday to Friday so hours can be flexible, but we would ideally ask volunteers to commit to 2-3 hours per week, either in the morning or afternoon.
What you’ll get from the role
As a volunteer with Bexley Mencap you can expect:
- Relevant training and support from our team
- Agreed re-imbursement of out of pocket expenses
- To be supported and valued in your role
- The opportunity to meet new people
- The opportunity to learn new skills and learn more about learning disabilities
- The opportunity to make a difference to the lives of local people with learning disabilities and their loved ones
If this sounds like you then we’d love to hear from you. Please contact us on 020 8303 6336 or firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more