Bexley Mencap is a small, local charity that provides activities and opportunities for people with a learning disability and their loved ones. We want all people with a learning disability to be respected, valued and to live life to the full and as a volunteer you could help us to achieve this. It’s the perfect opportunity to develop your skills, have fun and meet new people by becoming part of our friendly and dedicated team.
What we’re looking for
Do you enjoy running? Could you share your interest to support people with a learning disability to join in at Parkrun and other events?
We’re looking for people who will meet our members at the local Parkrun and support them to join in; running with them, encouraging them and helping them to be part of the group. If you love running then this is the perfect opportunity to use your hobby and experience to help other people take part.
We’re looking for people who:
- Enjoy running
- Are fun, friendly and approachable
- Have a good sense of humour
- Are reliable and patient
- Will maintain confidentiality
- Are accepting of and respectful to all members, demonstrating empathy to all
- Ideally have experience of supporting or working with people with a learning disability, although not essential as training will be given
- Are over 18
We’re initially looking for people who can support members at Parkrun on Saturday mornings in Bexleyheath, ideally weekly or fortnightly (with flexibility for holidays and other commitments). However, if there are other running or sports activities that might be of interest to members then we’re happy to look into those too.
What you’ll get from the role
As a volunteer with Bexley Mencap you can expect:
- Relevant training and support from our team
- Re-imbursement of agreed out of pocket expenses
- To be supported and valued in your role
- The opportunity to meet new people
- The opportunity to learn new skills and learn more about learning disabilities
- The opportunity to make a difference to the lives of local people with learning disabilities
If this sounds like you then we’d love to hear from you. Please contact us on 020 8303 6336 or firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more