Bexley Mencap is a small, local charity that provides activities and opportunities for people with a learning disability and their loved ones. We want all people with a learning disability to be respected, valued and to live life to the full and as a volunteer you could help us to achieve this. It’s the perfect opportunity to develop your skills, have fun and meet new people by becoming part of our friendly and dedicated team.
What we’re looking for
Do you like getting out in the community and spending time with people? Do you want to make a difference to people’s lives?
We run a range of social activities for people with a learning disability and are looking for new volunteers to support the group to do the things they want to do. The members choose their activities so this is a varied role which might involve meals out, bowling, cinema, outings and much more. You’ll be supporting people with a learning disability to attend the group, take part in activities and make friends. It may involve starting conversations, supporting members to make choices, getting involved in activities and setting up/tidying away.
We’re looking for people who:
- Are enthusiastic about helping others to access social and leisure opportunities
- Are fun, friendly and approachable
- Have a good sense of humour
- Are reliable and patient
- Will maintain confidentiality
- Are accepting of and respectful to all members, demonstrating empathy to all
- Ideally have experience of supporting or working with people with a learning disability, although not essential as training will be given
- Are over 18
Our social clubs usually run in the evenings so we are looking for volunteers who can commit to at least one evening per month
What you’ll get from the role
As a volunteer with Bexley Mencap you can expect:
- Relevant training and support from our team
- Re-imbursement of agreed out of pocket expenses
- To be supported and valued in your role
- The opportunity to meet new people
- The opportunity to learn new skills and learn more about learning disabilities
- The opportunity to make a difference to the lives of local people with learning disabilities
If this sounds like you then we’d love to hear from you. Please contact us on 020 8303 6336 or firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more